OOF: Finite Element Analysis of Microstructures
Known bugs in OOF
Please send bug reports to firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know what version of the program you're using, and on what kind of computer you're running it. A log file is always helpful. You can save log files with the "log/save" menu item, or the "Save as" button in the Quit dialog box.
Bugs that were fixed as soon as they were discovered may not be listed here. This page lists bugs that have been outstanding for a while. If you think you have found a bug, and you're not using the latest version of OOF, check the Recent Changes file to see if the bug has been fixed in a newer version.
- The functions in the effective property don't divide by the edge length, so the returned result is wrong. FIXED in 1.1.13.
- The preconditioner variable is missing from the main menu in the non-thermal versions of OOF 1.1.7 and earlier, all the way back to the introduction of the thermal version. FIXED in 1.1.8.
- Distortions applied to a nodegroup that is both enslaved and fixed have no effect. FIXED in 1.1.6.
- Enslaving the same degree of freedom in two node groups that share one or more nodes will crash the program. FIXED in 1.1.6, finally.
- The command "output energy" gives incorrect answers for elements with thermal expansion in plane strain. FIXED in 1.0.8.
- If command windows are opened for a function that operates on a group, and then the group is deleted, the command windows will stay on the screen. Executing the command window will then crash the program, or at least make further operations unreliable.
- Mutated elements stored in goof files and read back into OOF have the wrong colors.
- Zimmer elements don't revert to their original orientations when reset. FIXED in 1.0.7.
- The command "output force" gives incorrect answers for enslaved node groups. FIXED in 1.0.8.
- Shear stresses are reported incorrectly for some elements. FIXED in 1.0.8
- The strains reported by the "output" commands, and displayed in the graphics windows are the effective 2D strains. That is, they include contributions from out-of-plane thermal strains, which are needed to perform the equilibration correctly. However, there aren't the strains which you probably want to see... FIXED in 1.0.8.
- The griffith element and its variations (griffith2 and zimmer) do a really bad job of approximating the griffith criterion. Caveat computor.
- The "output/individual" commands don't work on the Linux versions. FIXED in 1.0.8 beta 20.
- If you open a graphics window and switch Drawers (ie draw anything other than the simple mesh) before creating a mesh, then you won't be able to display the mesh in that window. The bug was introduced in version 1.0.8 beta 13. FIXED in 1.0.8 beta 24.
- Thermal forces aren't included in the calculation done by "output/force" or by the "force" button in the NodeInfo dashboard. FIXED in 1.0.8 beta 29.